So here it is. My review of One Plus One by JoJo Moyes…
American audiences have fallen in love with JoJo Moyes. Ever since she debuted Stateside she has captivated readers and reviewers alike, and hit the New York Times bestseller list with the word-of-mouth sensation Me Before You. Now, with One Plus One, she’s written another contemporary opposites-attract love story.
Suppose your life sucks. A lot. Your husband has done a vanishing act, your teenage stepson is being bullied, and your math whiz daughter has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you can’t afford to pay for. That’s Jess’s life in a nutshell—until an unexpected knight in shining armor offers to rescue them. Only Jess’s knight turns out to be Geeky Ed, the obnoxious tech millionaire whose vacation home she happens to clean. But Ed has big problems of his own, and driving the dysfunctional family to the Math Olympiad feels like his first unselfish act in ages . . . maybe ever.
One Plus One is Jojo Moyes at her astounding best. You’ll laugh, you’ll weep, and when you flip the last page, you’ll want to start all over again.
VERDICT: What a fun read! I really enjoyed this book. And even though I’m married, it was very easy to feel connected to single mom, Jess in the book. And even though my kids are still pretty young, I related also to her gifted daughter, Tanzie and her angst ridden step-son, Nicky! Together they face many hurdles, but Jess is an eternal optimist who keeps them all going.
And then they meet Ed Nicholls – a millionaire whose life is coming apart at the seams when he meets Jess and her kids (and their dog) on the side of the road. Their family is completely dysfunctional, and Ed fits right in with them all (in an awkward way). The story is funny, sad, romantic, and heart-warming, with just enough romance! I really enjoyed this story, and I’m looking forward to reading more of JoJo’s novels! I would give this book 2 thumbs up. For me, it was a total chick flick in book form!
If you’re wondering about JoJo Moyes, she does have a website, and you can visit it here at JoJo Moyes.com! Her website is easy to navigate, and it tells you a little bit about all of her books and the movie based on one of her novels coming out soon…
She was born in 1969 and grew up in London. She had many careers including typing braille statements for blind people, writing brochures, and several others. She got her degree at Royal Holloway and Bedford New College, University of London. She worked as a journalist for 10 years as a News Reporter, Assistant News Editor, and an Arts and Media Correspondent.
In 2002, her first book was published, Sheltering Rain, and she has been a full time novelist since this time. She has now written many more novels, and all of them have been critically acclaimed! JoJo won the Romantic Novelist’s Award 2 times, and now her book, Me Before You was nominated for Book of the Year at the UK Galaxy Book Awards. This book, Me Before You, has sold over 3 million copies worldwide.
I am so excited about seeing this movie based on Me Before You. I wanted to read the book first, but it was checked out of my local library, with a very long wait list. So…that’s what led me to One Plus One. I was hoping to read Me Before You before the movie comes out, but I’m not sure that will happen now. The movie’s release date is June 3, 2016. That will be here soon, and being that I am a very slow reader, with many books stacked on my bedside table and on my Kindle, this one might have to wait. But I’m so happy to have found One Plus One. I’m so happy when I find a new author that I love. Oh…and good news for those of you who did read Me Before You… There is a follow up novel called After You! Maybe I’ll get that one read before its movie comes out…
The official reviews for One Plus One are all really good. Here is what people and newspapers are saying:
- “Safety advisory: If you’re planning to read Jojo Moyes’s One Plus One on your summer vacation, slather on plenty of SPF 50. Once you start the book, you probably won’t look up again until you’re the last one left on the beach…[a] wonderful new novel.”—The Washington Post
- “Jojo Moyes’ new novel One Plus One adds up to a delightful summer read, where the whole is greater than the sum of its charming parts…Moyes’ observations on modern life are dryly hilarious…You don’t need to be a math whiz to figure out this book is one worth adding to your summer reading list.” —USA Today (4 stars)
- “Bridget Jones meets Little Miss Sunshine in this witty British romp from bestseller Moyes…Wryly romantic and surprisingly suspenseful.” —People
- “Fans of the 2006 summer sleeper hit Little Miss Sunshine will find a lot to love in British author Jojo Moyes’ latest, about a madcap road trip that’s packed to the boot with familial drama, class clashes, and romance…In Moyes’ deft hands, even a bout of kebab-induced food poisoning is somehow charming. You’ll be rooting for this ragtag group of strivers until the very last page.” —Entertainment Weekly (A-)
- “Jojo Moyes’ latest novel has humor, heartbreak and romance—a.k.a. the perfect beach read.” —Lucky Magazine
- “The delightful, comic ONE PLUS ONE is as likable a book as you will come across this summer, light and funny…sharply drawn characters, genuinely amusing scenarios and a compelling warmth for all of these endearing misfits (even Norman).” —Miami Herald
- “The author of last year’s heartbreaker Me Before You returns with another page-turner…”—AARP
- “An irresistible mix of romance and humor”—Dallas Morning News
So…get yourself a copy of One Plus One, or any of JoJo Moyes’ books! Summer time is getting close, and these seem to be the perfect pool-side novels! By the way…JoJo lives and writes on her farm in England. She lives there with her husband and their 3 children. A farm in England? Wow…sounds like a nice place to write novels. Happy reading! Until next time…